Saturday, May 9, 2009

Palawan Islands



Hosted by Christine and Beverly

In light of my late father's birthday on May 2nd, I thought I'd take you to one of his favorite hangouts in the Philippines. He got paid to enjoy waterside places because his work was helping the government find clean sources of water and configure the community water to have a cleaner source and outlet!

I welcome all of you to the Palawan Islands! It is a series of islands off a slim peninsula on the Southwest side of the Philippines. Enjoy!

You know that exotic flora and fauna exists in tropical places, but check this one out...


SAKURA

From The Main Ingredient dot com:

It is the Japanese name for cherry trees and their blossoms. The trees are in full bloom from early to mid spring. These flowers are grown in Palawan, Philippines, in Canada, Great Britain, Germany and the US.


Calamian region or Northern Palawan

This string of islands is one of my late father's favorite places to visit when he used to work for LWUA (Local Water Utilities Administration), where he toured most of the Philippines to help regions and districts with their water issues. He used to regale me with stories of fishing, boating and the islands he explored. He used to say that most natives in the areas he helped would be so grateful, they would put together a feast or a big pile of sendoff gifts!

One time, on my 10th birthday, I awoke to a strong smell of the sea and there was my dad smiling at me very early in the morning next to a sack, a sack full of edible shellfish that people near Palawan gave him as a thank you gift! Another time, after visiting another "water district", he came home with a guava bigger than his head! We planted the seeds and had three small trees that yielded many huge guavas! It took three or more people to eat one!


From Blog dot Agriculture PH.

These are tiny compared to the ones I've eaten. Try imagining twice the size!

I wish to visit the same places someday...

I can understand why he loves Palawan the best, check out what Travel PH dot com has to say:

One of the last frontiers of the Philippines. Palawan is known for the beauty of its fowls and fauna. The perfect combination of sea and mountains, it offers sights that is breath taking for city dwellers and nature lovers.

The island is accessible by airbus aircrafts via the city's capital Puerto Princessa from Manila or Cebu. For the exciting romantic getaways, it is only accessible by chartered flights.
The province boast of some of the best dive spots in the world as most islands are declared environmental sanctuary.


Nothing excites travelers more than breathtaking views, warm and friendly people, and local arts, crafts, and knicknacks to take home as souvenirs. If only for these three things, the Philippines has everything travelers look for. We need only show them what we've got. It's showing the splendor of the islands from the point of view of the people who live there. It focuses not only on the country's physical beauty but also on the interplay of culture and nature, which is what makes each and every place unique.


The Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park is located about 50 kilometers north of the city of Puerto Princesa, Palawan, Philippines. The National Park is located in the Saint Paul Mountain Range on the northern coast of the island. It is bordered by St Paul Bay to the north and the Babuyan River to the east. The City Government of Puerto Princesa has managed the National Park since 1992. It is also known as St. Paul’s Subterranean River National Park.

The entrance to the Subterranean River is located a short hike from little town of Sabang. It features a limestone karst mountain landscape with an 8.2 km. navigable underground river.

A distinguishing feature of the river is that it winds through a cave before flowing directly into the South China Sea. It includes major formations of stalactites and stalagmites, and several large chambers. The lower portion of the river is subject to tidal influences. The underground river is reputed to be the world’s longest.The area also represents a significant habitat for biodiversity conservation. The site contains a full mountain-to-the-sea ecosystem and has some of the most important forests in Asia.

National Geographic dot com

The resort's 18 cottages rest on stilts right next to El Nido's marine sanctuary, where towering limestone cliffs jut from the shimmering surface and unspoiled coral reefs lie just below it. In a single day, guests can scuba dive, kayak, rock climb, and trek—returning just in time to witness a Gauguin-inspired sunset from their cottage's private balcony. Rather take it easy? Just spend your day relaxing on the beach. You certainly won't miss the sunset that way.

A very big thank you to both our hosts and to all of you who "peeked in".

TABLESCAPING IDEA: ("Brain" is ready to travel) Set a table for two in the most serene part of your garden and surprise your husband or wife with a light dinner for two with overhead string lights and some fragrant fresh flowers like lily, rose or freesia. Combine it with items from either your honeymoon, wish list or recent vacation and enjoy each other's company while reliving your great moments away, together...

23 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking me back to the Philippines, Chandy! Would you believe I have never been to Palawan? That river is amazing!I wish I traveled when I was there as much as I travel now because I know we have beautiful sceneries there. Happy birthday to your dad. What a great tribute! Beautiful pink cherry blossoms....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chandy...thanks for taking us on a virtual trip :) Love the pink cherry blossoms...they smell so devine.

    Thanks for stopping by my place...Happy Pink Saturday ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, great ideas - thanks for sharing. Happy Pink Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How absolutely wonderful! Beverly sure knew what she was doing when she created a place for all of us "pinkies" to congregate and share our "pinkness".

    Happy Mother's Day to you. I hope you find yourself surrounded by those you love, good food, and a gentle peace in your ♥. We don't need to be a mother to know a mother's life. After all we all started out with a mom, didn't we?☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm from the Philippines but I've never been there :-( But even before, that's the one place in the "someday I'll be there to visit :-) ) When shows here feature this place, the boat riding, the caves. beautiful!

    Oh yeah, bayabas - they sure are gigantic!

    Happy mother's Day Chandy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful flowers, I love your blog design!!!All the pictures make me want to visit that tropical haven. . .We are still fighting for sunshine, here in our part of the world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Pink Saturday and Have a great Mother's Day ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm Why would anyone ever leave that paradise!
    Happy Pink Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chandy your pictures of the beautiful fruit and scenery are stunning. Wish I could take a trip and see all the wonderful sights. You always make each trip so real and a lovely virtual tour. Thanks. Have a HAPPY MOTHERS DAY. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning, ladies! Thank you so much! I'd love to visit there so I can really simulate taking you all there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A vacation in a blog! I want to go know (picture me saying that to Ryan, but more whiny and you have the moment I saw the subteranian river photo) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ann, I know I wanted to just grab all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Pink Saturday, Chandy! Thanks for taking us on a trip with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful pictures!! Happy Pink Saturday... and tomorrow Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Chandy, another place I would love to visit and take in. Happy Pink Saturday and Happy Mothers Day too. Char

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a wonderful trip! I love "traveling" with you. Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you ladies! Join us next time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous photos, almost like I was there!

    Have a great Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those pictures are gorgeous! What a peaceful and beautiful place. I enjoyed the stores of your father coming home with treasures. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Me Again! I forgot to tell you that your blog looks great! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Chandy,
    thank you for sharing such a wonderful post with us. I loved reading about your dad.

    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*´¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ Happy Pink Saturday
    Deanna :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh! That place looks gorgeous! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW!!! Gorgeous, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed my visit to your blog.
    debby

    ReplyDelete

If you like this blog, let me know. If you really like this blog, let me know. The key is let me know. Thanks for peeking!

Niceties first

HELLO AND WELCOME to this blog dedicated to my obsession of tablescapes, and ONLY TABLESCAPES!
That means that whatever I post will be redirected to tablescapes or you will see tablescapes or the dishes and glassware that I used AND wish to use.
I hope you like you what you see; but you can't do that unless you take the tour- the TABLESCAPE TOUR that's on the side bar! I'd also love to take you on my adventures on finding great dinnerwares to display and use while leaving some serious change in your pocket, so stay a while and see all of my great deals!
Wanna know the reason behind the madness, too? Then make sure to read, Why this blog for my philosophy.