Sunday, May 17, 2009

Just Wanted to Share...

Hosted by "Happy To Design"


These are what I go by in adding to my obsession, I mean... collection. ;-)

FROM FEBRUARY 8, 2009
#############################################

TRADE SECRETS

Alright, since I really can't keep these things to myself (not like I haven't shared it already!), I might as well tell you how I find these great dishes that spark this looove of mine.

1. Just Lookin'. If you're in any multi-purpose stores like Target or Walmart, cruise their clearance aisles or the dishes aisles. Most have things on clearance on the bottom shelves or endcaps. At Ross or Marshall's, put together different dishes for ideas.

2. Baby Steps. I don't get my dishes all at once (doesn't that sound nice though, huh?). Keep in mind also the number of people you normally want to invite over + your fam. 6, 8 or 12 settings is the norm count for small gatherings.

3. Easy to Use. Stick with solid colors or subtle designs. They are easier to mix and match.

4. Lasting Color. I choose colors that can span different holidays. For example, RED can be for V-day, Christmas, Anniv, Independence, Halloween, Thanksgiving and birthdays of red lovers in your fam or even that "once in a blue moon" Girls' Night Out.

5. Fuzzy Clearance. If it's not at least 40% off, don't bother! 'Nuff said.

6. Stretch out Lincoln. Even Dollar Tree can surprise you, so take a look around.

7. Point out Flaws. Inspect your choice and tattle on any flaws to the store "suit". Ask politely if they can give you a discount. Many will say yes (but don't bank on it). It's fun that's for sure!

8. Be Patient. If not the first time, it just means there's a better one next time. Also, join Freecycle and see if anyone is willing to part with pitchers, cake stand, tablecloths, etc.

9. Again and Again. Even if it's your wedding china, use them! You got it for a reason, find one to use them on! If it's a one time wonder, you wasted your money! Even if it's every 1 or 5 years, dishes are for use, not for display or be doomed to stay in a box that's probably as expensive as they are.

10. Sniff and Stalk. Visit Kohl's, Marshall's, TJM, Ross, Tuesday Morning, and even some specialty stores. You never know what you'll find until you walk in and around the store.

11. Make time and make it a date. If the dh knows what you're doing and planning, plus it's a cheap date, he may just race you to the car keys. Mine and I, we talk of possibilities: who we'll invite over, what food I'll make for it and what dessert he can choose. That gets him excited!

12. Check with the checkbook. If you can't afford it, don't buy it! Period.

###################################################


Thank you very much to our host, Chari for letting us relive some of our faves every week!

TABLESCAPING IDEA: ("Brain" is tired...) If you can't think up of ideas by just looking at what you have, write down your ideas from inspiration pics. Then look for similar items in your stash and go on from there!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Chandy,
    Thank you sharing your great tips on how to get bargins! Since reading your blog getting plates at a discount has become my mission. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, and ones everyone should read. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tips. People who don't use their china drive me crazy!

    Christi @ A Southern Life
    http://asouthernlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't the deals in Canada like you guys do. If they put 10% off on an item they think they are clearing it out. Phhhhtttt to that.
    I try to cross the border to Washington State once in a while and get my fill of good deals. Even with the duty it is cheaper.
    Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori E, glad you have WA to fill your need for great deals! That's nice to know in Canada.

    Thank you to all of you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent advice/tips Chandy. Oh I love nice tips :-) And what a great way to end with the last one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chandy...

    My friend, I just love this post that you chose to share with all of us again...of course, it's new to me! See...this is why I'm loving Sunday Favorites...there's so many great posts that I haven't seen before! I always...always enjoy reading all of your tips...and you had so many great tips to share in regardes to buying dishes!!! I always take all of your great ideas and tips to heart!

    Thank you again, my friend...for joining in with Sunday Favorites! I do apologize for being so late at getting over to your place...I was away for the weekend and I'm just now getting to the computer! Great post...great ideas!!! So glad that you shared them with all of us!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete

If you like this blog, let me know. If you really like this blog, let me know. The key is let me know. Thanks for peeking!

Niceties first

HELLO AND WELCOME to this blog dedicated to my obsession of tablescapes, and ONLY TABLESCAPES!
That means that whatever I post will be redirected to tablescapes or you will see tablescapes or the dishes and glassware that I used AND wish to use.
I hope you like you what you see; but you can't do that unless you take the tour- the TABLESCAPE TOUR that's on the side bar! I'd also love to take you on my adventures on finding great dinnerwares to display and use while leaving some serious change in your pocket, so stay a while and see all of my great deals!
Wanna know the reason behind the madness, too? Then make sure to read, Why this blog for my philosophy.