Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Almost V-Day Disaster



We've reached another Sunday, another opportunity to share past posts that was a fave but not much face time. Chari, our gracious host is letting us have our old posts shine a second time around. All I have to say is, thanks so much!

For my V-Day tablescape, there was one cakestand that I felt completed the vision in my head. I found it at Sur La Table dot com and I was thrilled that it was on sale! It was perfect until this snag happened... Enjoy reading!

From February 12, 2009

BRAIN STRIKES AGAIN!

And this time she waged war on Sur La Table! With "Mouth", Mr. Man and me. (Of course, she won!)

Do you remember the first "ITEM OF THE WEEK" on the sidebar? It was this cute, whimsical 8.25" x 3" red embossed heart cake stand. Anyway... I ordered this cutie on Feb 2, full price (I know, I know... But it was soooo cute!- I, too, am subject to weakness from time to time, ain't I?)
Back track to Feb 6- I saw this cutie offered down to $8.99 or 40% off (Woo-hoo!!! I'm free from the bondage of retail cuteness angle! I can now spare my fingernails that are now down to pathetic nubs from guilt.)

Fast forward to Feb 10- Mr. Man and "Brain" cornered me into dialing for an explanation.

("Brain" was fuming... DH was in the living room with us when he too, asked, "What's up with that? They didn't ship it until the 10th? What happened to your order? You need to call them.")

("I'm on it before you even thought it. Carolyn, dial already!")

So I dialed and a nice lady picked up the call. Mr. Man was mouthing out what I should be asking. (Man, I feel so bossed around!) To continue, I politely asked why my order didn't get processed to be shipped the next business day from my order date. The associate, after looking up my order manifesto (I like that word, so business like), she sheepishly with a cute nervous laugh, declares, "I don't know what happened, ma'am. That shouldn't have happened. I don't know what to tell you."

("What kind of an explanation is that? What are they gonna do about it? Ask, Carolyn, ask!")

DH is also intently waiting for me to continue the conversation so I did; I asked, "Well, now that it was just shipped today, is it still guaranteed to arrive on Valentine's Day? That's obviously when I need it." The embarrassed lady on the phone says honestly, "I understand that. But I don't know, ma'am, because it says here 5-7 business days. I don't think so..."

Now, it was my turn to get upset! "What?! That's the only reason why I ordered it! Why even order it if you can't guarantee it, or now that I can't use it for what it's intended for?

("You stick it to 'em, Carolyn! Atta, girl!") ("Brain, just let me handle this, will ya?")

(But "Brain" couldn't let it go; so questions like, "What are you going to do about it, Sur La Table?" "Don't we need to be compensated for this inconvenience?!", were spit out through "Mouth". She mostly listens to "Brain" too, before me. I'm just a puppet really...)

The lady finally said, "I can't stop it to upgrade your shipping for free nor can I give you anymore discount, but what I can and will do for the inconvenience, is to give you back your shipping fee of $5.50. So that means, your card will be debited back that amount as well as the 40% off discount." I finished the confirmations and hung up. I relayed everything back to anxiously waiting Mr. Man who planted himself in front of the desk.

("That's more like it! You did well, grasshopper...") Then they let me gloat with them.

Afterall, I saved $11.51 or 56%!!!
and they took off the tax, too!

It arrived this afternoon, two days before V-day! So got my money's worth!
VICTORY once again! "Brain" - 2; Walmart & Sur La Table - Zippo!!!

(Ok, tell me this isn't cute enough to snatch up at $15.oo; I dare ya!)

Mr. Man was pleased as well- how can he not? A $20.50 acquisition, but we only dented the account by $8.99? The "what now" question was pacified, too, since it will be put to use for EVERY Valentine's and/or our Anniv Days- for both Dating and Wedding... Whew!

"Brain" says hello to all, "Mouth" too! And they both wonder... How was your day?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TABLESCAPING IDEA: ("Brain loves that cakestand") For a quick centerpiece, use different but complementary cakestands to showcase candles, flowers or appetizers. Keep your dishes understated to help the centerpiece standout more!

15 comments:

  1. Just blog hopping tonight and enjoyed reading your blog...I am posting on our Disney trip so hope you will stop by. Also, the June giveaway starts today...all comments left in June will be in the drawing for the "June Card Box"! You will have to go down a few posts to read about the monthly giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl!!! I'm glad you reposted this as I missed it the first time. I love the heart cake stand. Glad to hear this story had a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful cake stand Chandy! Great Deal too. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chandy... what a shopper you are... a pretty cake stand well worth the price... now... not sure if it was well worth the stress... but the price... great! LOL

    blessings. Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whooo Hooo! That's a great story and adorable piece, too. TY for showing us how to stand up for ourselves. Happy 2nd time around Sunday!

    xJ
    MaidenShade.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when that happens! It's beautiful and you'll enjoy it for all your "love" occasions.
    Mrs. Petrie @ casapetrie.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chandy, that is some adventure, but I do think the cake stand is just about the cutest. I LOVE it. Great repost, I missed it the first time. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Thanks for coming by to visit me. Every time I click on your blog. Someone comes in or the phone is ringing! I click off saying I will go back in a few minutes. Well here I am days days later! I love the heart cake dish!!! You go girl! I love your Tablescape. Love all your dishes! I going in a few hours to pick up more of the black and white Royal Staff. desert plates and dinner plates. Also more of my French dinner plates. I been trying to get someone to take me to Marshal's well, I called my SIL and she was in Marshal's, I said NO!!! I want to go, she looked and they had some of the dishes I did not buy on my last outing and were on sale for $2.00. She shopped for me and now I am going to pick them up, with an excuse to Hubby, I changed out the bedroom drapes, and need to add a lining to some fabric I got at the garage sale, to sew the length we need for family room French Doors. So we will be going 45 min away to pick up my dishes and lining! Yeah! I get to get out! lol I rather be going to Marshall's! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hubby says I have an obsession and need to stop! I told him, if it makes me Happy why not! lol He is calling the dining room the dish room. I asked him to hang a cabinet shelf, I painted. He has hung a lot lately! He says How many shelves are you going to have. The walls are covered now! I said Oh, just a few more. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful piece and I don't blame you for fighting hard for it! The squeeky wheel gets the grease.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great deal, your brain did a great job!

    Christi @ A Southern Life
    http://asouthernlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great comments ladies! Thank you!

    Lady Katherine, you come by anytime you have the chance and I hope you get to enjoy all of your dishes soon enough after they've all found their homes. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Chandy...

    I'm so glad that you're joining in with the fun of Sunday Favorites once again, my friend!!! What a great post...I didn't get to see this little Valentine's beauty the first time around!!! Ooooh...and it is soooo pretty!!! I love it!!! I have to admit that I would have gladly paid the full price as well...it's just that cute!!! Ohhh my...I have to say that I hate...absolutely hate having to deal with problems like that but you did a great job and WOW...got this pretty cake plate for a mere steal, my friend!!!

    Thanks for the sweet note that you left for me about my pink canisters...I always enjoy our visits back and forth!!!

    Hope that you're having a super Sunday!
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Chandy! Somehow I missed this the first time you posted this so I am really glad it's on again now. What a pretty cake stand. Love all the hearts in it and what a great deal! Another hooray for a bargainhunter you! Sometimes their negligence works out in our favor, doesn't it?....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chari and Christine, I so agree! It helps that I don't have much to spend in the first place. LOL

    ReplyDelete

If you like this blog, let me know. If you really like this blog, let me know. The key is let me know. Thanks for peeking!

Niceties first

HELLO AND WELCOME to this blog dedicated to my obsession of tablescapes, and ONLY TABLESCAPES!
That means that whatever I post will be redirected to tablescapes or you will see tablescapes or the dishes and glassware that I used AND wish to use.
I hope you like you what you see; but you can't do that unless you take the tour- the TABLESCAPE TOUR that's on the side bar! I'd also love to take you on my adventures on finding great dinnerwares to display and use while leaving some serious change in your pocket, so stay a while and see all of my great deals!
Wanna know the reason behind the madness, too? Then make sure to read, Why this blog for my philosophy.