Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!

Another year to blog with our plates and glasses! Well, let's just say that I am pumped this year for ideas!

I already have ideas for the upcoming Valentine's Day and today, I scored 60% off discount on uber cute Fall dishes that totally feels at home whether the table will be formal or casual enough at a buffet setting! So psyched about all that!

But I will be joining Marty, Susan, Michael Lee and Leigh this week with these awesome pics! I think they will speak for themselves: Most pieces have been acquired no less than 50% off and up to 90-95% off! Simplicity and ease is what I went for this year, so no muss, no fuss!

I will bundle these three holidays as:
THEME:
"CHRISTMAS, MERRY AND NEW"

INSPIRATION:
Last minute Brain suggestions and seasonal colors

Here's Christmas Eve Dinner,

Dinnerware: Food Network "Currant"- Kohl's 80% off, 2009
Flatware: Oneida - Sears 50% off, 2010
I made Pansit Sotanghon (mung bean noodle dish), Pochero (similar to beef stew only with cabbage and bananas), Bistek (beef simmered in citrus and soysauce with onions), and chicken Adobo and Pork Sinigang (tamarind broth based dish)
The juice is made of Calamansi or Filipino equivalent of orange, lemon and lime, only better... And of course there's the staple coconut juice. We also had Sarsi, our own version of rootbeer, but we forgot to put it on the table.
 I make exclusively Filipino dishes every Christmas Eve dinner since 2007... Every year, I add or take away a dish and this year, I learned a new Filipino dessert. We also make sure we have Filipino snacks on hand like Clover chips, Pulburon (powdered candy), Curly Tops chocolate and dried mangoes.

I focused the table on ambiance and conversation readiness. So I put chips on each end for ice breakers and instant appetizers.


Now, here's our Grazing Table for Christmas Day
 Every year, our Savior Jesus Christ gets his own birthday cake, always chocolate but different levels of decadence. This year, it is a flourless Semi-Sweet Chocolate Cake topped with powdered sugar and chocolate cookies.
 Lumpiang Shanghai or mini-eggrolls.

My two newest Nativities: both from my in-laws...


Every Christmas Day at my in-laws, they set up a table full of food gifts they received and they just "graze" all day! So we adapted it our family and now our children look forward to it every year!

 That is Tyler Florence's Ultimate Cheesecake and I just topped it with Blackberry Jam and Blackberries dusted with powdered sugar.
 Each year, the table is full of all the wonderful things our family loves to nibble on! Especially fruits and chocolate!

This is our newest Filipino dish, Biko, a traditional sticky rice cake cooked in coconut milk and brown sugar. It is yummy! We also make Puto, a steamed rice cake (right bottom corner of above picture)

And here's New Year's Eve!
Our New Year's Eve meal is very symbolic of my part Chinese heritage and my practice of Feng Shui. We celebrate with the typical loud noises, toasts and greetings and afterwards, by eating an orange for a prosperous year as its color and shape resemble gold, a cookie for a sweet life...

If you notice most of the foods are round for a balanced life as in Yin & Yang. Noodles in the soup for another year of good health, eggs and sweet potato fries and fruits for abundance.
We chose our drink carefully every year and since our goal for 2012, is better health, I put fresh squeezed juices of pineapple, oranges and mangoes. No sugar added.
Blue and green are also significant in Feng Shui as it represents Water and Earth. Our house is NW oriented so the two colors invite people of good influence and family harmony. The flames represent South and prosperity and the iron candle holders as well as the metal fruit/dish holders represent knowledge as well as wishes for a bright future in the coming year.

Hope you all had a great end to 2011 like we did and we wish you all the best of 2012!

Thanks for stopping by! If you don't see me, I'm probably at your blog. ;-)

TABLESCAPING IDEAS: (Brain was tuckered from her last minute ideas!) "Don't let the holiday seasons haunt your wallet each year. Do what I do: Let the colors of the previous holiday inspire the next one. For example, Fall's sage greens and burgundy reds can transition into a country themed Christmas and if you add silver, blue and crystal bling, you've got a fantastic entry into New Year's Eve!"

17 comments:

  1. Chandy, your tables are so inviting! I love your burgandy plates on your Christmas Eve table. I have started collecting nativity scenes! Yours are lovely!! Thank you for stopping by Take Six! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl...I don't think I have every seen so much food! Looks like a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing spread! I enjoyed learning about your traditions!
    Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is my very busy friend? So glad you found time to stop by. Wow! You prepared such a good feast and what a spread. It instantly made me hungry. Whne you have a chance, would you please give me your recipe for puto? Love your tablescape. It is very family oriented. And what a great tradition you picked up from your in laws! Love your Nativity sets...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, the tablescapes are wonderful, but the buffet displays of fabulous food are totally unreal. I wish I had been there. Everything looks amazing. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much! We absolutely had a great time feasting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the BIG mistake of visiting your post tonight with an empty stomach. Chandy, I honestly just drooled on my keyboard.

    WOW - what an amazing FEAST- yum yum yummmmm!
    Awesome post and awesome Christmas! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! lol It was hard not to notice the buffet table.

    ReplyDelete
  9. [[Chandy]]! How in the world are you? So good to hear from you and I hope all is well with you after you finished your schooling awhile back.
    Your tables are always so beautiful and all of the foods look delicious! I love the buffet idea as it makes it so much easier on the hostess!
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed the peek into Filipino foods and customs! Looks like no one went home hungry! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Tricia! You would be correct! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Am,

    WOW... this is the thing, the yummy food from the Philippines I missed.

    Pang-Noche Buena talaga ang dating ng settings mo?

    Hope you had a great NY...

    Wishes from Stockholm,
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chandy...thank you for stopping by my blog. Your food looks amazing and I'm exhausted thinking about all of that preparation!!! Those plates are beautiful and what a great deal!! I'm sure your family and friends were full and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, gorgeous. You know how to throw a great party.
    Happy New Year.
    xo, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chie, Tess and Jeanne, thank you!

    Chie, welcome to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great seeing all the customs and all that food! I will have to make a fresh juice with mango one of these days!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Shelley! Mango is delicious! You totally should!

    ReplyDelete

If you like this blog, let me know. If you really like this blog, let me know. The key is let me know. Thanks for peeking!

Niceties first

HELLO AND WELCOME to this blog dedicated to my obsession of tablescapes, and ONLY TABLESCAPES!
That means that whatever I post will be redirected to tablescapes or you will see tablescapes or the dishes and glassware that I used AND wish to use.
I hope you like you what you see; but you can't do that unless you take the tour- the TABLESCAPE TOUR that's on the side bar! I'd also love to take you on my adventures on finding great dinnerwares to display and use while leaving some serious change in your pocket, so stay a while and see all of my great deals!
Wanna know the reason behind the madness, too? Then make sure to read, Why this blog for my philosophy.