Saturday, February 7, 2009

Two birds with One stone

I already posted about this on my family blog, but for the purposes of this one, I'm including it here, too! Sometimes, things happen for a reason and you just have to "go with the flow..." Like this accidental double celebration with one tablescape. You be the judge... (No life sentences, please! :D)


THEME:
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO A NEW YEAR"


MY INSPIRATION:
Asian Serveware and Red solid plates


I was almost leary to look up the tags since I didn't want to go home without them, but was pleasantly shocked when I saw how low they were plus the pitcher tag was further reduced! Admittedly, I didn't want any dinnerware, so most of these pieces are serving pieces.

This inexpensive red plate is by Canopy (Walmart). I've looked and looked for suitable red plates for Valentine's Day, but most are out of my range that I would hear my wallet screaming "YIKES!" for me because I would be so shocked. (You would think with this economy, stores would really slash their prices to gain customers, but I guess that bandwagon hasn't hit every store yet... Oh well!)

The Asian dinnerware, a Ross find back in 2008. I've only owned one yellow (with blue) dishes before and ended up throwing them away due to fissure cracks, but when I saw these, I knew I had to have 'em!
The colors red and rust were present on the blossoms and the green rim of my Corelle "Shadow Iris" bowls complemented the bamboo trim on the serveware pieces. I chose lemonade to spread out the yellow from the middle of the table, completing the look. The runners and placemats (Walmart) lent a more natural look to the whole setting and the candle color was a perfect match. Awesome accident!!!


It was my dh Charlie's birthday and it also happened to be Chinese New Year, but it was totally accidental that I picked this set- I only had 1.5 hours to get everything done before he dashes off to work!
My placement ended up looking like a mighty dragon (pitcher is the head)- again accidental, didn't notice until I looked at the pictures. I only wanted a fairly simple but beautiful table to honor my beloved. It worked because he loooooved everything! Even my children were impressed. Love that!

TABLETOP GOODIES:
Asian Serveware- Ross;(2008)(under $20)
Red plates- Canopy/Walmart;(2008)($2.99 each)
Goblets- Luigi Bormioli Michelangelo;(1996)(FREE-Gift)
White salad plates- Corelle (MINE)
Bowl- Corelle Shadow Iris (MINE)
Runner and placemats- Walmart(MINE)
Tablecloth- Walmart; Rust-colored fabric (2008)($1/yard)
Candles and holders- Kohl's;(2008)(50% off each & MINE; respectively)

MENU:
Seafood noodle soup
Steamed Jasmine rice
Fried Chicken
White Cake
Lemonade
Hope you enjoyed looking! Thank you!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, how festive...I am on my way to get some red plates too ! Sorry about the bamboo flatware...I think the amounts of certain metals in the flatware clue you in on whether they will rust or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynn! I didn't know that about the different metals used in making silverware. I'll research that from now on. Good luck with the hunt for red plates! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite so far... It was quick to put together and it's a perfect marriage of our cultures: Asian dinnerware with American sensibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this table scape. its clean and crisp and classy with a touch of asian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reeva: Welcome! That is exactly what I thought when I saw the pictures! Great eyes see alike!

    Good luck and welcome again!

    ReplyDelete

If you like this blog, let me know. If you really like this blog, let me know. The key is let me know. Thanks for peeking!

Niceties first

HELLO AND WELCOME to this blog dedicated to my obsession of tablescapes, and ONLY TABLESCAPES!
That means that whatever I post will be redirected to tablescapes or you will see tablescapes or the dishes and glassware that I used AND wish to use.
I hope you like you what you see; but you can't do that unless you take the tour- the TABLESCAPE TOUR that's on the side bar! I'd also love to take you on my adventures on finding great dinnerwares to display and use while leaving some serious change in your pocket, so stay a while and see all of my great deals!
Wanna know the reason behind the madness, too? Then make sure to read, Why this blog for my philosophy.