Monday, March 30, 2009

What to do with an Oddball

Hosted by "Smiling Sally"

Here's a Royal Blue Asian runner from Mrs. Lin's Kitchen dot com. Isn't it pretty? Happy Blue Monday to all and a big thanks to Sally for hosting!


*****************************************************

Hosted by "Between Naps on the Porch"

For today's Met Monday, I decided to show how I convinced my dh that my first find at Goodwill is just as versatile as my other dishes.
Remember this pattern, "Stockholm"? A stoneware made in Japan.


My dh wasn't thrilled about the look of this pattern; it reminded him of the 1980s. Or the fact that I've never really dabbled in any Americana decor that this may fit in. So I had to figure out a way to prove him wrong before he begs me to give it away! I created a tablescape to not only incorporate it but make it shine as well!

First, I consulted "Red" my dining area guard rooster. He immediately took the center spotlight and introduced himself to the two golden foil chicks I won from Robyn of "There's Always Thyme For..." They got along just fine. They looked a little cold so I had them huddle around a warm candleglow. I looked for more things to add and I spotted my very first pitcher embossed with veggies. I rescued the mums and poofed them on top.


Then, since I didn't have any blue on my centerpiece, I tried to find a way to make this pattern work. So, remembering my Canopy "Golden Wheat" dishes, I used it as a charger to spread and tone down the gold. To achieve a casual look, I used our everyday plastic placemats and runner that do a great job blending in with the table. So then, I set my oddball pattern and set the table with my Hampton "Lace" flatware and Anchor Hocking "Fire & Ice" highball glass.


I added my Bordallo "Hen and Rooster" bowl for the menu. "Red's" comb was nicely complemented by the red on the plates. By not using blue anywhere else, the plates stood out beautifully and the centerpiece with the simplicity of the pattern reminds me of the simple beauty of being down in the farm at dusk...

What do you think? Is he right, or I am right to keep this pattern?

THEME:
"Farm in the City"


No, I didn't bribe him with his favorite dessert, "Butterscotch Banana Bread"! It was for the foil chicks! ;-) LOL


Happy Met Monday everyone! Thanks Susan for being our gracious host once again!

32 comments:

  1. You were right, Chandy. It really does work! Great centerpiece created with the hen and foil chicks...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good to me! Happy Blue and Met Monday ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, Christine, thank you! I think so, too... I'll let him know you agree with me. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the pattern, It's not too over the top and the plate is mostly white, I think you could do lot's a different table scapes with it easily. Mary @ Boogieboard Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is lookin' great! I also enjoyed the green majolica bowl, I have the exact one and it sits on the kitchen counter.
    Have a Lovely Day~
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blue runner is pretty, and so is your dish with the blue print. Happy Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the title "farm in the city". Keep your Goodwill find--it just takes men a little longer to adjust to change :)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you use the runner as a runner? The way it is photographed makes me think how pretty it would be displayed on a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good to me too. I love the foil chicks.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I think it all looks just perfect.
    Happy Blue Monday, bj

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chandy, I think it is just perfect! Great job, and I love you pop of blue in there accented with the gold charger. And that foil chick... darling! And that bread... Yum!

    Happy Blue Monday...

    XO,

    SHeila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The setting is just right. I bet your husband changed his mind when he saw the finished product :-) And your centerpiece with the rooster and chicks are adorable. Good thing they get along fine :-)

    Oh I want a piece of that butterscotch banana bread. You baked this this, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the chickens as a centerpiece. I am fairly obsessed with them.

    Scribbler

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Blue and Met to you. What a fun tablescape you created! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chandy,
    Your blue table runner is striking such a vivid blue I love it!
    Also come by my blog, and see the new buttons. There are 3 choices, just let me know which is your favorite. Write to me under the giveaway post. I want you to be happy so don’t be shy if you want me to adjust the look. Once you decide I will write the code for your new button.
    Cathy The Stylish House

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks wonderful.... Happy Blue Monday and have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you ladies! Yes, I baked the bread, but no the runner is not mine; I just saw it online while browsing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh it definitely is a keeper. I love your rooster ( I have the same one ). lol Your tablescape is just perfect. I think we need to keep all of our beautiful dishes. Great job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love table decor, what a fun blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful post. I love the table decor and your great blog! Happy Blue Monday!
    Sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chandy,
    Your button is ready! I need your email address so I can send you the instructions and the code. Write me at TheStylishHouse@gmail.com
    I can't leave the instructions here, because this comment section does not allow me to post the code part. I tested your new button if you want to look at it on my blog. I think it turned out spiffy, and it links back to you. I hope you like it.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the rooster! Your blues are pretty too.
    Happy Blue Monday!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay, he can't make me give them away now!...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it looks down home good and with that yummy bread! Cock-a-doodle-do! I say different plates for different moods...NO RULES!
    Blessings, Candy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tell your husband he has been out voted! Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oooooo LOVE your rooster!!! I am a rooster fan!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  27. well i think it looks fabulous! and candles always add such a nice glow. Husbands, mine tolerates alot from me, or shall i say he has just become ammuned.
    hugs
    janet

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello again ladies; I'm glad to report he has conceded with the proviso that I will continue to find cool tablescapes to incorporate the pattern as he really doesn't like them by themselves. I'm up for that challenge! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  29. Men-what do they know? Your table looks great! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Terrie, thank you! It was a great web surfing find... :-)

    Laurie, I agree! LOL

    ReplyDelete

If you like this blog, let me know. If you really like this blog, let me know. The key is let me know. Thanks for peeking!

Niceties first

HELLO AND WELCOME to this blog dedicated to my obsession of tablescapes, and ONLY TABLESCAPES!
That means that whatever I post will be redirected to tablescapes or you will see tablescapes or the dishes and glassware that I used AND wish to use.
I hope you like you what you see; but you can't do that unless you take the tour- the TABLESCAPE TOUR that's on the side bar! I'd also love to take you on my adventures on finding great dinnerwares to display and use while leaving some serious change in your pocket, so stay a while and see all of my great deals!
Wanna know the reason behind the madness, too? Then make sure to read, Why this blog for my philosophy.